Ready for a Kansas City travel guide? I’ve been going to Kansas City every summer for about eight years now. Logan has some family that live down there, so we go for a long weekend every summer. It was actually just pointed out that we’ve never experienced any season other than summer. TWIST. MY. ARM. I guess we’ll have to go back down in the fall or spring this year…
There are so many things to love about Kansas City. Like Milwaukee, it’s a little more manageable to get around than Chicago, but you still get all the perks of big city life (think: shopping, great food, lots to do). Keep reading for my favorite KC gems.
What to do in Kansas City
- Scooter around the city using their electric scooters. It’s the best way to see the smaller city center and avoid higher Uber costs. You can park and find the scooters scattered throughout the city by using their app. By scooting around the city you get to see the gems up close. Bonus: electric scooters are next level fun, I felt like a kid again.
- Take a tour of Boulevard Brewery. Tickets are cheap ($5) and they include free tastings. My favorite is the unfiltered wheat.
- Walk around the Crossroads neighborhood to look at the art murals. KC is a huge art city, and you’ll find it on every corner.
- Go shopping in the Plaza. The Plaza is inspired by Spanish architecture and is home to amazing higher-end shopping (but they still have stores like Forever 21) the Plaza similar to Chicago’s Gold Coast neighborhood.
- Take a stroll around the River Market. If you’re there on a Saturday morning you’ll get to experience the farmer’s market.
Where to eat/drink in Kansas City
- One of my absolute favorite things about Kansas City is the number of independent coffee shops. I ordered an iced latte at all of them and I was not disappointed.
- Affäre for bottomless brunch. They’ve had live music both times I’ve been there and it’s right off the free streetcar stop.
- We also went to Brown and Lowe for dinner. The entrees were reasonably priced and so was the wine. Not to mention they have a killer Chicken sandwich.
- Craving tacos? Check out Kansas City Taco and get yourself a 24 oz. margarita while you’re at it.
- The best BLT I ever had was at The Russel. They added in avocado and house-made aioli and I can never go back to just bacon, lettuce, and tomato.
- KC also has a really good bar scene. The best place to go for a night out is a neighborhood called Westport. They close the street from 10:30-3AM on the weekends, so it’s an ideal bar-hopping neighborhood. If you find yourself back in the Crossroads district you should also go to Up-Down for old-timey games (think Pac Man and skeeball).